Tis’ the season to be jolly and I’m sure many of you have heard about or even been invited ugly sweater parties recently. I’m not sure what it is about the holidays that brings them out, but the sweater, in itself, is a timeless item that anyone should have in their wardrobe, whether it’s V-neck, turtleneck, cable-knit, or cardigan. This FreshFive edition will highlight 5 sweaters that you’ll be proud to wear to any party.
1) Alexander McQueen Print-lined Shawl-Collar Wool Cardigan. McQueen definitely makes ugly beautiful with this piece. He combines two trends, the shawl collar and the cardigan, and places a modern spin on it with this asymmetrical button fastening. Last but certainly not least is the skull detail, which lines the cuff as well as the inside of this cardigan. Available at Mr. Porter. Retails for $925.
2) JCrew Seaspey Fair Isle Crew-neck: The Fair Isle print has been quite popular during the fall/winter months. This sweater from JCrew is pretty versatile in my opinion. You can dress is up for those last minute holiday functions with some nice chinos, or dress it down with some jeans. Available at JCrew. Retails for 118
3) Standard Issue Bogo Sweater: This is a simple sweater but with a bit of flare. This mixed media piece incorporates another big trend this season, leather. A simple shoulder patch makes this basic crew-neck sweater standout. Available at Bluefly.com. Retails for $39
4) O’Hanlon Mills Intarsia Ski Sweater: This is another festive sweater that can go both ways. A simple ribbed crew-neck; however the pattern detailing is very ‘Watch the Throne.” Available at UrbanOutfitters. Retails for $64.00
5) Last but certainly not least is the classic V-neck. This however is a V-neck with added cable knit detail. A Cable knit pattern adds a more refined quality to the sweater, and is definitely fresh. Available at Macys. Retails for $60.